Beacon Village
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beacon Village

Home of the premier village of the City of Islands Minecraft server.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"Doomsday"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DuoNoxSol

"Doomsday" Empty
PostSubject: "Doomsday"   "Doomsday" EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 12:39 pm

As we all know, there will be an update on October 31, 2010, that might require a map reset. Even if not, it seems likely that Canna will reset it regardless. I propose that we of Beacon Village prepare for that reset, regardless of rank - it seems unlikely that I'll be serving as Council in twenty two days, but that won't stop me from wanting to rebuild Beacon Village.

On this thread:
We will post diagrams of what we think the city shall be planned as;
We will discuss possible changes in the Building Ordinances to be implemented with the reset;
We will discuss building materials for roads, taxes, and government buildings;
We will discuss how we will find an area in groups. See second post.

We will NOT:
Discuss the possibility and likelihood of that reset;
Speculate only on what the update could contain (although it is allowed if in context of On this thread.)

This is what I've been using as a template. This is at a 1:2 scale, so every map square is equal to two map squares.

"Doomsday" 67353_144864142224955_100001041095179_231942_1252761_n

Last edited by DuoNoxSol on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DuoNoxSol

"Doomsday" Empty
PostSubject: Groups, Times, and Expeditions   "Doomsday" EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Second post: Reserved for groupings
Back to top Go down
Nobdy

"Doomsday" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Doomsday"   "Doomsday" EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Rebuild beacon in Hell? lol Well we would need some form of building in hell for beacon to prevent people that we dont want porting in
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

"Doomsday" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Doomsday"   "Doomsday" EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 4:55 pm

I agree, an outpost in hell is a necessity. The Beacon portal should be heavily fortified to prevent creepers from creeping through it and blowing shit up.

As for urban planning, Duo, have you seen the Urban Planning Test Site? I've been working on a new configuration that will make the city much more epic and allow for an increase in the height restriction without creating cave-like streets.

Perhaps instead of building around a bay on a peninsula, we could build New Beacon on a flatter piece of ground - and larger in overall area. With wider streets and lots, the narrow strips that Beacon currently sit on would not work.

Back to top Go down
DuoNoxSol

"Doomsday" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Doomsday"   "Doomsday" EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 5:07 pm

I've yet to see the planning site, but I'd like to. PM me here, I'll get on the server. Also, in this thread, I assume there will be a reset, and the city doesn't necessarily have to be in the Hell World, but could rather be outside and within walking distance to a portal (which I'll decorate.)

In addition, this is, using the template above, my first draft of what the primary section should look like. The wall is implied a little bit outside of the range of the map.

Remember: this is not a 1:1 scale.

The aquamarine are roads, the default green is a planting patch or just grass. They are around little fountains that I'll build for free.

"Doomsday" 47066_144864135558289_100001041095179_231941_6410256_n
Back to top Go down
Zege

Zege

"Doomsday" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Doomsday"   "Doomsday" EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 5:22 pm

As convenient (and really quite sensible) a grid pattern for the streets are, I personally find them bland and very uninspiring. I'm hoping something can be worked out for an unusual, but still navigable city layout. I don't really have much to contribute to that other than my own opinion though.
Back to top Go down
chad_stumph
Admin
chad_stumph

"Doomsday" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Doomsday"   "Doomsday" EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 pm

One of the designs I have been working on along with denghis is for a city of canals. There are still walkways amongst the lots, but instead of roads, there are canals. It is definitely unusual and qould require a lot of preparation before it would be ready for settlement, but it is one idea to liven up the standard grid pattern.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Doomsday" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Doomsday"   "Doomsday" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Doomsday"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Beacon Village :: Village Hall :: Village Council-
Jump to: